HB 5940 was drafted by HSUS and is the legislative contact for HB 5940. HSUS’s lobbyist is the person working on the forthcoming amendment to HB 5940. Herp Alliance verified this directly from HSUS’s lobbyist today.
Unless you believe that special interest organizations representing extreme animal rights organizations should be supplanting state legislators elected by Illinois residents, you should OPPOSE HB 5940.
- Introduced in the House on 2/14/14 by Representative Michael Zalewski (D).
- HB 5940 passed the Illinois House on 4/10/14 on a vote of 79 in favor and 22 opposed.
- HB 5940 was conceptualized, drafted and shopped by HSUS.
- HSUS has a high paid lobbyist John Kamis of Carpenter Lipps and Leland LLP shepherding this bill through the legislature.
- HB 5940 is sponsored in the Illinois Senate by power broker Senator Kwame Raoul, a member of the powerful Illinois Democratic machine.
- According to Senator Raoul’s office, HB 5940 will pass the Senate Agriculture and Conservation Committee on 5/13/14, after which time, an amendment will be introduced that is being drafted currently by HSUS lobbyist, John Kamis.
- Herp Alliance has spoken directly to John Kamis who has indicated that HSUS is calling the shots on the bill, which is intended to grandfather in existing animals but to preclude the future acquisition of restricted animals unless specifically exempted.
- Current Illinois Law (720 ILCS 5/48-10) exempts USDA Class C licensees. The current version of the bill removes the exemption and restricts ownership of specified “dangerous animals” unless the licensee is also an AZA accredited zoo. (HSUS is working on an amendment right now that will not be prepared in time for the committee hearing on 5/13/14).